Notice to Medicare Patients
Regarding “Annual Wellness Visits”
As you may be aware, Medicare now covers an ‘‘Annual Wellness Visit.” This new benefit is designed to focus you and your provider on plans for prevention and wellness and encourage you to get preventive services that are appropriate to you and are fully covered by Medicare.
There are specific Medicare guidelines for the new Annual Wellness Visit—it is NOT what most people think of as a yearly “physical exam.” It is not a “HANDS ON” exam. Rather, it is a Review of Your Health, plus Education and Counseling about preventive services. Because of this, your provider cannot treat new or chronic conditions or review recent labs/testing results during this visit. Your provider will ask you to schedule a separate visit if you need treatment for a specific condition, or you can use your scheduled time to have your provider take care of your immediate health concern and another appointment will be scheduled for the Annual Wellness Visit.
During the Annual Wellness Visit, the provider will:
- Record and evaluate your medical and family history, and medications.
- Check your blood pressure, vision, weight, and height to get a baseline for your care.
- Make sure you’re up-to-date with preventive screenings and services, such as cancer screenings and vaccinations.
- Screen you for conditions related to problem solving, depression, and functional status.
- Perhaps order further tests, depending on your general health and medical history.
To prepare you for the visit, you should bring the following with you:
- Your medication bottles and a list of your allergies
- A list of your medical conditions and surgeries
- A list of your other health care providers
At the end of the visit, the provider will develop a personalized plan for preventive services that you need to help keep you at your best health over the next few years. Depending on the results of these services, you may need to schedule a regular office visit with your provider to discuss the results and possible treatment.
This information will help us guide your healthcare and provide you with advice to improve your overall health.
Your Medicare Annual Wellness Visit can be scheduled at Keystone Family Medicine by calling (709-7999).